The Pilates Method is a full-body system of exercise developed by German-born health enthusiast Joseph Pilates in the early 20th century.
As an avid boxer, gymnast, skier, and wrestler, Mr. Pilates gravitated toward understanding health, the human body and achieving ideal physical fitness. Originally called ‘contrology,’ Pilates uses a combination of specially designed equipment and mat work to strengthen, stretch, and uniformly develop the body.
What can Pilates do for you? So Much!
- Enhance core strength
- Increase precise muscle control
- Improve flexibility, postural alignment, and balance
- Develop long, lean muscles
- Assist with injury prevention and rehabilitation
- Promote heightened body awareness
- Create proper movement patterns
- Reduce chronic pain
- Boost energy
- Alleviate back pain
- Loosen stiff muscles
- Improve your sport/activity
- Relieve stress
- Recover from illness
- Provide low-impact exercise